Texture corruption in both glide and D3D modes

Answers to all your Interstate dilemmas!
OfficerWizard
Trunk Monkey

Texture corruption in both glide and D3D modes

Post by OfficerWizard »

I'm running the GoG version of the game, and my original issue was of course the 30fps problem which caused the AI's tires to twitch back and forth, and mortars to only fire 2 feet. It took me forever to fix that, and I'm not even sure how I did, but now if I run in 3D mode, either Glide w/wrapper or D3D, everything works fine for like 5 minutes, then suddenly random textures will be replace with something else. For example body panels of my car will start looking like road signs or flaming bits of wreckage, or the ground and sky textures will be tiled pictures of headlights or wheels.

I can run in software mode just fine, so it's not a huge issue. But I'll keep dicking with it, and in case anyone else has the same problem, perhaps we could compare notes and system specs.

My specs:

CPU: Amd Phenom 9950, 2.6ghz quad core
Memory: 8gb DDR2 RAM
Motherboard: Asus M3A79-T Deluxe mobo with the 790FX chipset
Video card: XFX ATI R9 380 with 3gb video ram and the latest crappy Crimson drivers
HDD: 3tb Wester Digital hard drive

PS, dunno if it's related, but I'm also having minor sound issues. If there's another car within radar range, even if I don't target them, I will hear their engine, horn, and all other noises as if they were right in front of me. And sometimes times my own engine will be completely quiet.
Wayek
Snowback

Re: Texture corruption in both glide and D3D modes

Post by Wayek »

The install itself sounds like it's corrupted ... I would suggest start over fresh again with the GoG install and then apply the patches individually
but again if it's not a big issue for you then I wouldn't worry too much about it really :|

as far as sound bugs go they happen from time to time and mine used to be terrible but I've done a few things so it isn't as bad .. I would suggest limiting the number of channels in the game and turning down your hardware acceleration . I still get the sound bugs sometimes but definitely not nearly as much I used to after trying this.. :wink:
Bring water to a boil. Lightly salt and oil. Add pasta. Cook until al dente...
OfficerWizard
Trunk Monkey

Post by OfficerWizard »

Whelp, this is odd. I should have mentioned these issues I'm experiencing are in original I76. When I started playing Nitro, I just assumed that it'd have the same problem. But I put the latest DGvoodoo in the Nitro folder, started it with the -d3d switch, and it runs fine. Don't even have to kill explorer.exe.

Only issue I have now is with the sound, but I can live with that. And my audio hardware acceleration is already off. I tried reducing the number of channels and the game crashed.
OfficerWizard
Trunk Monkey

Post by OfficerWizard »

I played all night in Glide mode, and it was fine up until we went to a map with a bunch of AI cars and buildings and shit, and the texture corruption returned. Wasn't as bad as previous, though, and it actually went away after I killed a bunch of buildings and cars. Not sure if the two are related, though.

Here's a screenshot. You can see the doors, wheels, and brackets around the targeted player are the wrong textures.

Wayek
Snowback

Post by Wayek »

glad that you had it working at least for a little while! .. really not too sure why that texture corruption would occur again but also my best suggestion is that install itself might be corrupt and to try it fresh again ....
OfficerWizard
Trunk Monkey

Post by OfficerWizard »

Eh maybe. I'll see if I can get the original discs working, but they didn't like Windows 7. And I'm not about to spend money on the GoG version since I already own the feking game. :P

I'll play with the d3d version some more, and see if the problem occurs on there, too.

What was that map we were just on with all the helicopters and shit?
Lightfoot
Legend of Sorts

Post by Lightfoot »

The map is called "Moonshine".

Spend the $6 and download a legitimate version of the game or find your disks and work from them.

It's not reasonable or fair to ask us to help you troubleshoot a "dubious" version of the game.

Thanks.
-Lightfoot

http://twitch.tv/dsavage66
http://discord.me/ultrafunk

If only you could see what I've seen...
sirapacz
Gun Crazy

Post by sirapacz »

there is sale on gog.com so there are quite big chances that i76 will be discounted too:)
sirapacz[WoF]
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

I have had this problem for over a decade and I'm pretty sure it's a bug in the game or the glide wrapper. I have experienced this problem with at least 3 different computers, all using the dgvoodoo 1 glide wrapper. The first computer was a Windows 98 install with the game installed with the original CD, though I'm not sure of the version of dgvoodoo. The other two were with XP and Windows 7, the original install CD and the GoG version, both with the newest version of dgvoodoo 1.

When I get a chance I'll try experimenting with other glide wrappers, but I've noticed the newset version of dgvoodoo 2 doesn't seem to work at all.

I've also noticed it only happens when weapons interact with objects. This may help isolate the problem.

Luckily there's workaround: simply hit Esc twice and the textures are restored. It's a nuisance to do during combat, but at least it works.
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

KIV 6051 [SH] wrote:I have had this problem for over a decade and I'm pretty sure it's a bug in the game or the glide wrapper. I have experienced this problem with at least 3 different computers, all using the dgvoodoo 1 glide wrapper. The first computer was a Windows 98 install with the game installed with the original CD, though I'm not sure of the version of dgvoodoo. The other two were with XP and Windows 7, the original install CD and the GoG version, both with the newest version of dgvoodoo 1.

When I get a chance I'll try experimenting with other glide wrappers, but I've noticed the newset version of dgvoodoo 2 doesn't seem to work at all.

I've also noticed it only happens when weapons interact with objects. This may help isolate the problem.

Luckily there's workaround: simply hit Esc twice and the textures are restored. It's a nuisance to do during combat, but at least it works.
Correction: The windows 98 install was with zeckensack's glide wrapper and a GeForce 5200 Ultra,
the XP install was with dgvoodoo 1.50 and a GeForce 7800 GS (yes the AGP one),
and Win 7 now with dgvoodoo 1.50 and whatever is in this old dell laptop.
Wayek
Snowback

Post by Wayek »

Hi KIV, I would try using Zeus's NGLIDE .. see if the results are any different

http://www.zeus-software.com/
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

I tried nglide to no avail, I have a feeling it isn't made for intel chipsets :P
Cunversely a friend if mine has to use nglide as dgvoodoo won't work for him with his amd (formerly ati) chipset.

I stubled upon a web page with a fix that may remedy the problem. I can't wait to try it out:
http://www.localditch.com/interstate-76/faq.html
If you experience texture corruption, where (typically) after explosions, all of the textures get scrambled, check the option to limit texture memory to 2mb in your wrapper of choice. Alternatively, just hit the "Esc" key twice during the game. Good luck.
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

See also: https://www.gog.com/forum/interstate_se ... und_thread
The bug where the incorrect sprites are drawn, especially after blowing up the fireworks stand is directly related to the amount of texture memory configured in dgvoodoo. I've found that the game needs at least 2048 kB and 1 TMU for its textures, but if you increase it any higher at all, you experience that bug. 2048 kB is the only way to go.
I tried this and it didn't seem to help. I'll double-check the rest of my dgvoodoo 1 settings :roll:

Note: it seems to be related to animated textures as I can usually race for a long time without any glitches.
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

I suppose I should post progress since I seem to have the textures mostly under control using dgvoodoo1.5. I found a guide that helped however I had to make some changes to get it to work:

http://interstate76.wikia.com/wiki/Fixes_%26_Tweaks

+ Run dgVoodooSetup.exe

Set 'Renderer API' to Direct3D9 in the Global tab
<-This will not work on my laptop for some reason so I have to leave it on DirectDraw7 & Direct3d 7
Check 'Monitor freq is the closest supported freq' in the Glide tab
Check 'Force trilinear mipmapping'
Check 'Autogenerate mipmaps'
<-This setting will make the roads look like Vigilante 8. Unless you like blurry roads, I would leave this option unchecked.
Check 'Texmem scaled to 4MB'
Set LFB Access to 'Enable FFB access' (should be the default setting)
<-This is not an option in dgvoodoo1.5
Check 'Use hardware cache buffers when poss.'
Check 'Use fastwrite for unmatching formats'
Check 'Closer to a real hardware'
Set Texture mem size to maximum (65536 kB)
<-Here's where things get weird: If the texture memory size is set that high on my intel chipset, the textures will get mismanaged. The way they get mismanaged is very different than usual: if the texture memory is set too low, the textures will get mismanaged onto other objects and be recognizable, and they can be reset if Esc is pressed twice. However if the texture memory is set too high, like at 65535 kB, the textures will get mismanaged onto the map tiles, will not be recognizable and cannot be reset by pressing Esc twice.
I eventually found a sweet spot of 14336kB. The textures will eventually get mismanaged, but after pressing Esc twice they never seem to get mismanaged again. Vigilante 8 had a very similar bug, more obvious in the playstation version.
Set Resolution to your native resolution <-"Set by the application" does not work on my laptop
Check 'Enable Glide-gammaramp'

Click OK to confirm. dgVoodoo will now automatically handle Glide for Interstate '76. No further action is needed for using this tool.
GuyFawkesGaming
Vigilante

Post by GuyFawkesGaming »

You know I'm getting something similar to this with glide emulation enabled. At random times the textures may became flipped or "trade places" with other textures. It's almost like a texture bleeding. Doesn't occur with D3D enabled though.
Pay To Win: a video gaming concept for people who don't actually know how to play, but still want to impress their friends.