The XP FAQ: First Revision

Answers to all your Interstate dilemmas!
Lightfoot
Legend of Sorts

The XP FAQ: First Revision

Post by Lightfoot »

There are some basic things you need to do before you can even start considering troubleshooting this, or any other game in a Windows 2000 or Windows XP environment:

You should always start with a fresh installation of the game to ensure that you have all the proper, unpatched, unmodified files.

Do not install any additional software for the game until you have sucessfully launched the game.

You should not try to run the game in any 3D accelerated version if you are having problems launching the game.

You should not attemt to reconfigure your controller from inside the game.

Not understanding your operating system is the largest problem users will encounter. If you do not receive a paycheck for being a desktop technician or network engineer don't pretend to be one when asking for help.

The FAQ:

1) Q - I can't install the original version of the game.

A - There is a glitch in the installation which causes the game to crash on install and launch. Keep trying, it will eventually work though it may take 20 or 30 tries. The same thing holds true when you try to launch the game once it's installed. Just keep trying.

2) Q - I've installed Nitro Pack / Classic I'76 and keep trying to launch it but nothing happens even after 20 or 30 times.

A - Find NITRO.EXE or I76.EXE (which ever is applicable), send a shortcut for it to your desktop, choose "Compatibility Mode" and run the game as Windows 98.

3) Q - When I install the game, everything seems to be going well but then I go to launch it and as soon as the menu screen appears, the game locks up.

A - Go to the Device Manager and disable your sound card temporarily and attempt to start the game in Instant Melee. If the game launches, go to your audio controls inside the game and set the sound channels to 1 (off). You can exit the game and reactivate your sound card but you will need expert help configuring your sound card so it does not crash the game if you reactivate sound in the game.

4) Q - I've disabled my sound card and the game still doesn't get past the menu screen.

A - Disable any USB or other game controllers in Device manager and attempt to start the game in Instant Melee. If the game launches you will need to either play using a keyboard or use an "old school" analog controller.

5) Q - I've disabled my sound card and USB controllers and the game still doesn't get past the menu screen.

A - Reboot the system in Safe Mode and try to start the game in "Window" mode. If the game doesn't get past the menu screen, you'll need some one on one assistance.

6) Q - When I enter a game I can only play for about 15 seconds then I'm dropped. The same thing happens when I host a game but to the other players.

A - You're most likely behind a router witha firewall in it that does not allow the UDP port traffic the game updates itself on. Move your PC into the routers DMZ or bypass the router. If you don't understand this step you will need one on one help to bypass the problem.

7) Q - I can't host or join a game at all but I can play Instant Melee.

A - Disable the integrated firewall in the Advanced properties for your network connection and also disable any other port protection software.

8 ) Q - I am able to enter the game but my controls are all messed up and I see two lines of text everytime I type something.

A - You have two or more active TCP/IP stacks running. Disable any other active network connections in My Network Places that are running and try again.

9) Q - I've done everything listed in this FAQ, know I've done it right and still can't get the game running.

A - Copy the games folder from your hard drive to a CD as it sits. Uninstall the game, remove any latent registry keys and then copy the game back to your hard drive from the freshly copied CD. Follow the rest of the instructions in the FAQ if it doesn't run.

10) Q - I've done absolutely everything listed, had someone verify that I've done it right and the game still won't run.

A - The game will run on XP. There is a chance that you are not the machines adminstrator and have limitations on your user account or have not understood the steps leading to this point. Log on to the machine as the adminsitrator and retry all the steps listed above or have someone who understands the operating system try it for you.
Last edited by Lightfoot on Sat May 03, 2014 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Lightfoot

http://twitch.tv/dsavage66
http://discord.me/ultrafunk

If only you could see what I've seen...
tex [FD]
Legend of Sorts

interesting note

Post by tex [FD] »

i just received the eu release of i 76, on the back, it shows a list of what OS will and will not run i 76. hahhaha
here it is
yes to win 95,98, ME
no to win 3.1, XP, 2000

i think ive heard of every OS running it.
what would the i 76 community do without this tech board.?
Hotsauce!!
Lightfoot
Legend of Sorts

Well...

Post by Lightfoot »

Actually, I don't beleive the game will run under DOS or Windows 3.X...

Seeing as how they're both only 8/16 bit operating systems and the game requires WIN32 to run, it probably won't fly in that environment.

$0.02
-Lightfoot

rIFTEr [HSV]
Vigilante

Post by rIFTEr [HSV] »

I think you should call them up and slap them around, forcing them to change the text on the back of their boxes to "If you have any problems getting your game to run on your system, contact www.interstate76.com" :wink:

If anyone asked Acne for help on the game, they will just be puzzled that it exist.
Ace English
Angle Grinder Man

Post by Ace English »

Is it worth hosting a nitplyr.def (it's called something like that, I don't have one to hand) file with the sound option switched off, somewhere people can get hold of it?
This would help in two ways:

1) Nobody would have to monkey around with their sound card to get the game running first time.

2) It provides a quick way to get back into the game if you forgot to switch off the sound channels again before exiting, or if you got booted/crashed while sound was still switched on.

I keep a copy of this file on my desktop next to a shortcut for the i76nitro folder. I just drag n drop each time I want to play the game, and this guarantees no problems under windows XP.

I run one less than maximum hardware acceleration on my sblive (this is the maximum accel level that's directX compatible according to the docs).
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Re: The XP FAQ: First Revision

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

Lightfoot [FD] wrote:8 ) Q - I am able to enter the game but my controls are all messed up and I see two lines of text everytime I type something.

A - You have two or more active TCP/IP stacks running. Disable any other active network connections in My Network Places that are running and try again.
...or you have the Windows XP Service Pack 1 built in firewall turned on. Turn it off (which isn't recommended) or update your version to Service Pack 2.
That's what my old problem was. :)
Lightfoot
Legend of Sorts

Uh...

Post by Lightfoot »

Maybe you should read steps 6 and 7 before you start quoting the wrong solutions for 8?

Double text is caused by a second network stack, nothing else.

$0.02
-Lightfoot

Magnum |HH|
Vigilante

Post by Magnum |HH| »

Well I'm having the double text and a few keyboard keys aren't working.All I have in network connections are my dial-up connection I use to get online and a LAN connection which is disabled.Am I missing something and still have more than one tcp/ip stack active?If I host,ALL my problems are gone but no one can enter my game.

Since this game is played so few and far between I need people to let me know when they can help me do some testing.Even if someone could host a game on thursday evening before the TNE,even if your AFK I need a game hosted to test in.
metallizer
Skag

Post by metallizer »

the easiest way to past thru the crashing menus caused by the sound hardware is going to the options menu by pressing "esc" on the keyboard and disabling sfx in the audio config.

you can turn the sfx back on when in game, just remember to disable it when using the menus.
PanekPL
Vigilante

Post by PanekPL »

That's exactly what worked for me. At first I tried the method Lightfoot said about, disabling the card. Worked, but was slow to do : P Now I've tried the turn SFX off thing and bah - works too!

And seems that I'76 is very picky about PCs. On my parents' PC, which has the same stuff mine does, every Interstate works fine without having to fiddle with sound.
Hotrod Heart [HG]
Road Toad

Post by Hotrod Heart [HG] »

I'm not sure if it's what have just been said...sorry if it is.
My Nitro was locking up when clicking on anything in the menu. I went in windows' control panel and set the sound card Hardware Acceleration to None and the game works perfectly.
See you around