How to drive and shoot your way through Windows XP

Answers to all your Interstate dilemmas!
Bongo
Road Toad

How to drive and shoot your way through Windows XP

Post by Bongo »

How to drive and shoot your way through Windows XP by Bongo

Interstate '76 Nitro and Windows XP go together like Chicken and Chocolate. Here are a few tips from me. I hope this helps.

Installing

To install the game it is same as in '98. Once you have installed the game set the Nitro and Splash file to compatibility mode for 98 or 95.

Starting the game

You will only be able to play in Software mode. The other modes can crash. Make sure you close all other programs, even little ones pondering about in the background such as virus checkers.

Hosting Games

You can not host games with Windows XP. At least not very well. If you can, then you must have a fantastic Internet Connection. Try and get a friend with '98 or '95 to host. If he leaves the game to change his car, you will be the host - the game will crash. Make sure he does not leave! You can somtimes host games with XP - but other players can not join.

Shooting

You can not use spacebar for your main weapons. You must use the keys 1,2,3,4.... to shoot. Linking weapons does not work so try and press 1 and then 2 really quickly. If you are fast enough you will get the impression that the weapons are linked.

To shoot the .45 Hand Gun is as normal, except they do not stop firing. It seems that you can drive while shooting out of both windows. This can become very annoying. To stop shooting just look out of the window (right/left) then press space once to stop.

Engine

To start your engine press 'S' and accelerate [key pad 8] repeatedly until it starts. You will get used to it within 4 months of practice. If your engine sounds as though it will not start, it will but with patience.

Driving

Now driving in XP is also quite fun really. Apart from having no traction and no reverse gear; it really is exciting. You will find that once you have been killed a couple of times the traction gets real bad. Feel free to re-enter a game to get your traction back.

There is a way to reverse that you shall learn. To do this you must:

1. Bring the car to a complete halt (you can not be moving to do this).

2. Hit the Tab key really fast while pressing accelerate at the same time.

3. You will notice that you slowly move backwards.

If it does not work the first time try again and again. It is a matter of practice but when you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature.

Being Killed in Action

If text comes up saying you have been killed but you notice that you are still driving along the Interstate without a scratch; this means that your enemy has killed you. What I do is press Ctrl Alt and X to kill myself and say in the chat 'GK' - Good XP kill. This shows that I did die but the XP bug gave me another life. Somtimes you will find that you get up to 3 lives if you do not press Ctrl Alt X.... But clever players notice so I recommend killing yourself. Suicide is better than humility, but then again Nitro and XP is humility.

Avoiding Game Crashes and PC Re-Boots

To avoid a game crash you must think really hard if another player is about to join your game, then you must leave really quickly then re-join. If you do not your PC could reset itself.

I wish you good luck on the Interstate...

By Bongo ?2003
toecheese
Skag

Post by toecheese »

Ouch, that doesn't sound that fun... I guess I need to dual boot to 98, then?
Lightfoot
Legend of Sorts

Nope...

Post by Lightfoot »

You most definately don't need a dual boot machine...

The "children" here think that us "old men" don't know what we're talking about...but we humor them anyway.

In a nutshell, the simplest way to install the game is to run SETUP off the disk, make a copy of the installed game folder, uninstall the game and run it out of the copy.

Check out the information in the XP FAQ at the top of this forum for additional support.
-Lightfoot

http://twitch.tv/dsavage66
http://discord.me/ultrafunk

If only you could see what I've seen...
Lithium |HH|
Nicely Evil

Post by Lithium |HH| »

I have to say that i think the original post is misleading. Ive had no such errors in XP with 76. Maybe its your hardware Bango and not your software. Some of those things you stated above did happen to someone i know, but its HARDWARE induced, otherwise meaning caused by the HARDWARE. See XP was only the messenger, not the source.

While the guide you listed here covers what id have to say is the worst case scenario of em all, its not a mainstay guide for helping people get back to playing. In fact it looks more like this post is discouraging the play of I76 more then helping anything. Especially for new comers to this area.
Diamond
Vigilante

Post by Diamond »

I just installed it like usual and ran it off the nitro.exe, runs great. I can even use a gamepad.
WT_Lexi
Vigilante

Post by WT_Lexi »

Funny,

i got all of the above listed bugs.
But only if someone is in the game beside me.
When i host an own Game with only myself in it everything works perfect.

Another Bug is that the Chat Text is beeing eaten if you run 1024*768.
Atleast on my Screen its unreadable then. On 800x600 it works but if i write something it comes up double time.
Lexi
Wolfteam