Nitro upadtes

Answers to all your Interstate dilemmas!
Hotrod Heart [HG]
Road Toad

Nitro upadtes

Post by Hotrod Heart [HG] »

hey there

I have both updates for Nitro but never instaled them. I noticed there is an updated version of the anet2.dll, along with other files.
I guess you guys know these updates, so is it a good idea to update the game?

Here are the files in case someone wants to take a look
Nitropatch1
Nitropatch2
See you around
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

Those are also hosted here, too. I meant to ask Lightfoot about them but never got around to it. Maybe that's why I have trouble hosting?
Lightfoot
Legend of Sorts

Hmm...

Post by Lightfoot »

Testing proved inconclusive and possibly a detriment to players not running the patch...though a bunch of the tests were with DM who insisted FRAPS didn't change the game...

Wait for GrizZz to verify the results. I'm pretty sure he was the wingman for that project.
-Lightfoot

http://twitch.tv/dsavage66
http://discord.me/ultrafunk

If only you could see what I've seen...
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

Silly question, but I figured it would be worth a shot anyway: since GrizZz seems to be the man around here for that kind of stuff, would be happen to know someone who's willing to rewrite the Nitro dll files so that they work from behind a router and/or can be hosted from XP?
Lightfoot
Legend of Sorts

Uh...

Post by Lightfoot »

BWAHAHAHAHA!

GrizZz rewrite code?

:shock:

You may as well ask me to accept the Easter Bunny as my lord and savior.

:!:

GrizZz is an EXCELLENT BETA tester. His programming skills pale in comparison to even mine and I'm lucky if I can keep The Wraith out of this prefabricated messageboard.

You need to go talk to the guys in the ANET forums on Yahoo!...
-Lightfoot

http://twitch.tv/dsavage66
http://discord.me/ultrafunk

If only you could see what I've seen...
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

I've been doing that, and pretty much all I've gathered is that everyone there is in the same position and Dan Kegel doesn't really care about anything, though he does give constructive advice.
Please don't shoot me for saying this, but what about asking The Wraith for guidance on this subject? Does he know enough about computer science to look into it? I want to email the company that is (knowingly?) hosting the anet DLLs for I'82 to see if the guy who made them would be willing to do the same for Nitro.
GrizZz FD
Floozie

Post by GrizZz FD »

Har... Good luck, we tried whining to Kegal and Acti and anet hosts and everyone for years......... But hey, all the power to ya, never say never ya know.

The patches... Some of the files from one helped and some from the other helped, and mixing & matching them didn't seem to do much...

That said, I can't even remember if my install is stock or one of the patches anymore...My install is many many years old. But I have no problems with my game, it always works and I only get dropped in game crashes, not any of my own machine's game crash (hope that made sense)...

I still run Win98SE, on a PII 400.
GrizZz [FD]
A smelly pungent beast, enjoys irritating Light' at all times, passing out in the middle of a game and waking up at 3:00am with the game still running...
Fnork
4 8 15 16 23 42

Re: Hmm...

Post by Fnork »

Lightfoot [FD] wrote:Testing proved inconclusive and possibly a detriment to players not running the patch...though a bunch of the tests were with DM who insisted FRAPS didn't change the game...

Wait for GrizZz to verify the results. I'm pretty sure he was the wingman for that project.
A "fix" introduced by one of those patches was intended to eliminate the problem with inviso-fire (where fire/oil/caltrops/etc become invisible after a certain additional amount has been dropped).

However, it didn't actually eliminate the issue. All it did was slow down the refire rate of those droppers so the invisible limit would not be reached as quickly. The detrimental side effect of this is that it would leave significant gaps between the dropped items where they were meant to be continuous. Basically, instead of being able to leave a trail of fire/oil/caltrops it would leave spots that were typically far enough apart for a vehicle to drive between them. Effectively, this made droppers useless. Unless a player was going at extremely high speed or was momentarily out of control, they could easily pass "through" a stream of fire/oil/caltrops without suffering any ill effects.

It wouldn't matter if the person using the dropper had an unpatched version or not, because any person using the patch would see it on their own screen as a "patched" dropper.

In most cases it was *very* easy to see when there was a difference, because it would be pretty obvious when someone was dodging between patches -- it wasn't a simple issue of a lag or the momentary delay between when the oil or fire would get dropped and when it would actually start to affect vehicles.

-------------

Aside from the dropper issue, I never noticed any other significant changes with either of the patches. My game crashed no more or less often with the patches than it did without, and I never saw any difference in performance of anything within the game or the game itself. A few others (like GrizZz) did say they noticed some improvements, though...
Hotrod Heart [HG]
Road Toad

Post by Hotrod Heart [HG] »

well, I guess I won't be updating then... Thanks for the answers :wink:
See you around