A solution!

Answers to all your Interstate dilemmas!
BOFH
Trunk Monkey

A solution!

Post by BOFH »

Hey all, it's been a long time since I've posted, but recently I found something that will help just about everyone here who uses a router.

www.hamachi.cc

It's software that bypasses routers and creates a virtual network with computers over the internet. What does this mean? It means that once again, you can play I76 behind a router with other people running the software.

Just thought I'd let you guys know!
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

This sounds a lot like GIT, which requires that you play a LAN game and you try to connect to the host's UDP port that the game is broadcasted on. The problem is that there's no apparent way to find what port I'76 uses since it's a random port in a certain range and it's not known if there's any software that will tell you what program is using what port.
Of course I made this post without reading much more than the front page of the website, but I'm willing to give it more of a chance than that.
BOFH
Trunk Monkey

Post by BOFH »

Actually, you don't need to configure it at all really. I just had a game of starcraft on it. It can also emulate IPX, so you can run I76 on a LAN game and see servers that are running on other LANs. Think of it as a VPN.

EDIT: Anyways, yeah, I figured maybe competitons could use it so people with routers wouldnt need to go through hell to get the game working :p
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

Hmm, the Hamachi logo in the installation screen is a pentagram. That's always a good sign. :P
I'd like to try a game of Interstate '76 or Nitro Pack over this to see if it works. If anyone has a Hamachi network already set up and want to try it then hit me up on one of my chat protocols.
BOFH
Trunk Monkey

Post by BOFH »

I have one set up!

Network: sawo2
Pass: 123
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

I can't seem to finish the install tutorial unless I join the "test" network which for some reason is perpetually full. :(
Lightfoot
Legend of Sorts

Uh...

Post by Lightfoot »

Just exit the tutorial...it's not a requirement to finish it...
-Lightfoot

http://twitch.tv/dsavage66
http://discord.me/ultrafunk

If only you could see what I've seen...
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

That's what I did.
Anyway, I think that the only tinkering we need to try is with the settings of the Hamachi program itself since I think the network settings seem to be pretty well peaked up.
BOFH
Trunk Monkey

Post by BOFH »

Have you guys had any success in getting it working with I76? If not, just wait a while for a couple of new stable versions to come out, and try again :)