Direct 3d on XP

Answers to all your Interstate dilemmas!
Sean BBB
Road Toad

Direct 3d on XP

Post by Sean BBB »

Nitro seems to work pretty good for me, however upon opening the game, in the red menu, it doesn't have the option to select Direct 3D, just usual and Window. I selected D3D to install, but it's not available to select, what's up?
Lightfoot
Legend of Sorts

No D3D...

Post by Lightfoot »

"Direct 3 D" uses direct hardware calls...unacceptable to NT/XP...though if you want to waste a bunch of time and figure out how to get around it we'd all appreciate it.

:roll:
-Lightfoot

http://twitch.tv/dsavage66
http://discord.me/ultrafunk

If only you could see what I've seen...
Sean BBB
Road Toad

Post by Sean BBB »

So in other words D3D doesn't work with XP? (as far as everyone knows at least)
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

If you try to play by popping the CD in, the option won't be there. You have to open up the Interstate '76 Nitro Pack program folder from the start menu. If you still don't see the option, then it is likely that you didn't install it. But anyway D3D mode works just fine in XP as long as you can get Nitro Pack to work in XP.
Lightfoot
Legend of Sorts

Uh...

Post by Lightfoot »

I don't know what kind of PC you're running but to date, you're the only one that can run in D3D under XP...

I just retested an installation here based on your post and do not have access to any of the 3D rendering choices.

Consider yourself fortunate to not be stuck in 1997 with the rest of us.

:shock:
-Lightfoot

Sean BBB
Road Toad

Post by Sean BBB »

KIV 6051 [SH] wrote:If you try to play by popping the CD in, the option won't be there. You have to open up the Interstate '76 Nitro Pack program folder from the start menu. If you still don't see the option, then it is likely that you didn't install it. But anyway D3D mode works just fine in XP as long as you can get Nitro Pack to work in XP.
Eh, tried that, still no D3D. :(
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

I just checked and I don't even have copatibility mode set. Death Machine used XP, didn't he?
Rampage
Trunk Monkey

Post by Rampage »

My D3D work for nitro. I put the CD in, then the window pops up and i can select Direct 3D. I run the game on XP Pro.
Ace English
Angle Grinder Man

Post by Ace English »

Object physics are fucked in 3d, though, aren't they?- car won't fly off bumps right, and mortars will only go 10'...

Edit- you only get asked if you run splash, not nitro.exe... Or else if you know a command line switch for nitro.exe to choose the rendering mode (which is all I assume the splash app does).
---
www.liveforspeed.net
R Tape Loading Error
PanekPL
Vigilante

Post by PanekPL »

Right-click your I'76 Nitro Pack shortcut, then go to properties, select the second bar and input -d3d in this line (highlithed): *
I just tried it, and everything was kinda softer, so I guess that worked...

Turns out that the game runs only in 640x480 while in the Direct3D mode ; /
To turn the mode off, simply erase -d3d from the line.

*Nevermind the odd language text, we don't have Win in english, but you'll be able to do everything, just compare the window to yours.
---
Lightfoot
Legend of Sorts

Nice...

Post by Lightfoot »

Wow...it's refreshing to see that someone else is actually spending time to share what they've found about the game...

...and the switch works on my machine (at least to ender D3D mode). I'll test it under the disabled video device scenario and post up my findings...

...though as per AE's analysis, the framerate is a little too high in it's native format to make a bunch of the larger jumps or use mortars...
-Lightfoot

Diamond
Vigilante

Post by Diamond »

I tried what you said Panek, and D3D works for me using the -d3d at the end of the nitro.exe shortcut command line. however, the AI's wheels are gayed and my cars skids whichever way I turn the wheels, and all the other usual crap. It also only runs in 640x480. I think I'll stick to software mode for now since everything is fine, I even get to use me gamepad :D
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

D3D mode is always 640x480. I've never found a way to change it.
Fnork
4 8 15 16 23 42

Post by Fnork »

The physics problems AE mentioned are definitely framerate related, and are not caused by D3d mode itself (at least not directly).

My system (PII 333mhz) must be right in the sweet spot for Nitro, since it runs *exactly* the same in D3d as it does in software. I've never noticed any difference with the physics, AI, etc. between the two modes.

Aside from how the game looks, the only major difference I have noticed is that people with paint hacks tend to crash me a lot easier in d3d -- there have been a number of occasions where after crashing out of a particular game 2-3 times I could come back in software mode to find the culprit and tell them how stupid their car looked with mismatched/misaligned paint.
KIV 6051 [SH] wrote:D3D mode is always 640x480. I've never found a way to change it.
I have no idea if the newer video cards still have it as an option, but you can "fake" it into a higher resolution by cranking up the FSAA (full screen anti-aliasing) settings.

It usually makes the numbers on the speedo/tach unreadable, but does anyone even use those anymore?
PanekPL
Vigilante

Post by PanekPL »

OK, you guys know this little I'76 trick, that if you're falling to death and hit F12, you can actually survive the crash? I've tried it in Nitro Classic, and to me it doesn't work (tested on Lot of Asphalt) - changes the resolution, but the car still blows up upon impact. But in Nitro D3D, it actually works (Lot of Asphalt and Up & Down). The resolution stays at 640x480, and the game dumps you on your wheels. Also, if you'll jump off something (ramp or anything) and change the resolution at the peak of your jump, the game will dump you back at the ground and instantly bounce you into the air.

Blah blah blah, what are you waiting for? Get into your car and try it yourself.

So much for the research, I guess ;]
---