I'76 AI Bug.

Answers to all your Interstate dilemmas!
Magnum |HH|
Vigilante

Post by Magnum |HH| »

Did you try this yet :arrow: http://bigwhitevan.com/ipw-web/bulletin ... .php?t=657

I did..........
Vgamer
Trunk Monkey

Post by Vgamer »

That works, which is great... only problem is that when i use escape to bring up that menu it screws with the graphics (hard to explain exactly what it looks like) and the menu doesn't work. Makes exiting out of the game kinda difficult. Does it do that for anyone else or is it just me?

Edit- That was with the original Interstate '76 if it makes a difference, didn't try Nitro yet.
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
Rampage
Trunk Monkey

Post by Rampage »

Works, but 60 Hz kills my eyes.
Vgamer
Trunk Monkey

Post by Vgamer »

Nevermind, I just found a way around that. Everything works fine if i run the game at 800x600, but at 640x480 or below is when the menu doesn't work correctly. Also when i restarted after disabling the display adapters my desktop resolution was 800x600, so that may have had something to do with it.
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
Magnum |HH|
Vigilante

Post by Magnum |HH| »

XP seems to cause different problems on every machine .I have tried everthing to fix mine.I have read and followed numerous threads on this forum.I just reinstalled my game again this morning and just spent the last half hour communicating with Tetranius using game titles because we can't enter each others games I'76 Nitro Pack
0 games played in past 24 hrs. 2 games currently in progress Game Name Players/Max Game Name Players/Max
Magnum on XP;( 1/4 same. xp BLOWS 1/4

Updated every 60 seconds.
Page will reload automatically if your browser supports this feature.
Current time: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 6:31:40 pm CDT
tetranius
Trunk Monkey

Post by tetranius »

haha! mag and i were using the i76 server scope as a 'chat room' using our game titles as text strings.
its the FIRST TIME in the past year i see a game, and i cant join it. i just get an error message after a while
Second place is the first loser
Magnum |HH|
Vigilante

Post by Magnum |HH| »

:evil:
Rampage
Trunk Monkey

Post by Rampage »

So if the problem is too high frame rate, there must be some kind of tool around to limit it.

I googled for 2 hours, i found a little tool but it didn't work.

http://www.freezesoftware.com/articles/article01.html
Diamond
Vigilante

Post by Diamond »

perhaps you could set the task priority to below normal or low in task manager? i guess it will limit the amount of ram given to it, but the graphics card part is a different story for those of you with high end cards.
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

I found a program called "power strip" or something that you could use to change all kinds of display settings. You may want to look into that if you can find it.
Edit: the program is called PowerStrip and apparently the current version is 3.61. Unfortunately yes, it is shareware.
Fnork
4 8 15 16 23 42

Post by Fnork »

Death Machine took all of his videos using a program called FRAPS.

Apparently, when set to record it forced the game to run at a specific framerate (30 FPS, I believe), which changed the physics enough that he could play the game normally.

There was a big thread about it that eventually devolved into an arguement about cheating/haxoring, but the underlying fact was that FRAPS did make the game playable.

It might be worth checking out...
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

Alright guys, when I first read this thread I thought it was the AI "stuttering" every once in a while. I didn't realized the problem you guys are having is that all they do is "stutter" and don't stop until it happened to me today. I fired up Fraps and it looks like that the sweet spot for glide rendering is 15FPS but really what needs to be limited is the CPU speed for the game. After searching I found that there's a program called "EQPlayNice" but I'm not sure if it's only for EverQuest but I wouldn't doubt that it is. I can't tell because I haven't created an account for the program yet. Another program I found was called Framerate Limiter but all it does is make a white bar go across the screen. If you set it to unlimited then it will bog the CPU down so much that the AI stuttering goes away but the game is unplayable since it . . . bogs the CPU down too much. :? What the game needs in order to run right is either something to consume the CPU or something to disallow the game from using the CPU at its full potential. I'm pretty sure that's what EQPlayNice does, but like I said I won't know until I register it. Anyone else play EverQuest that can find out?
For now I'm just going to keep looking around for a frame rate limiting program besides what I've already found.
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

Alright gang, what I've found is that programs like CPU killer don't work. What the game needs is a frame rate cap to get it to normal. The only program that I've found that will do the job is Fraps, but I really don't want to record while I'm playing. I talked to the guy who made EQPlayNice and he told me that the other program that he's making called Inner Space will be able to cap the frame rate the way Fraps does once he has OpenGL fully functional in it since the Glide Wrapper uses OpenGL. So if you want the AI to function normally you'll have to pay for a program to do it. I'd write one if I knew how, but I don't. I sure hope one day do . . .
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Uh . . . I think I figured something out . . .

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

This sucks!
I got Windows 98 working well enough so that I could host tomorrow and I fired up Interstate '76 to see how the AI behaved and it turns out, even at such a high frame rate, that they work just fine on a fast computer. That's right, it's not the hardware's fault, it's the operating system.
Shitsticks. :?
Magnum |HH|
Vigilante

Post by Magnum |HH| »

tomorrow's all fine and good but what about tonight?I've got an itchy trigger finger...