Two installations of Classic

Answers to all your Interstate dilemmas!
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Two installations of Classic

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

I would like to know if anyone here knows how to have two installations of classic Interstate '76. I made two installations so that I could use one for hacks and one for non-hacks to keep my primary one clean. Whenever I create the second installation in it's own folder in C:\Program Files\Activision\ the first installation will point to the second installation even though the first installation's splash button in the Start->Programs->Interstate '76 is in the first folder and "Starts in" the first folder.
I can't tell if Windows XP is correcting my "mistake" or Interstate '76 is so wrapped around the fucking registry that there's no way for two installations to operate separately. If anyone has any info on how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated. I tried to make registry changes to fix this and all I've accomplished is making Windows make that annoying "fuckup note" whenever I run splash or exit the menu to the desktop.
My installations are as follows:

C:\Program Files\Activision\Interstate76
C:\Program Files\Activision\I76 Hackup

The Program Groups are as follows:

Start
Programs
Interstate '76
Interstate '76
Interstate '76 Help
Interstate '76 Uninstall
Map Editor
I76 Hackup
I76 Hackup Uninstall {Windows refuses to recognize this uninstall file}

The only ideas I have are making separate program groups and/or just linking directly to the programs rather than using the splash files.
Fixx
Vigilante

Post by Fixx »

Don't know if this'll help but when I had IO for I82 I just copied all the I82 files in the program directory to a new one and it ran without a problem. I think sometimes the resgistry crap is completely unneccessary. This was in Win98 and for I82 but it might be something to try :)

War what is it good for......
Oil barons and arms dealers.
Not you or me that's for sure!

Uh...

Post by Lightfoot »

Where'd my response to this go?

Anyway...

Not that I condone hacks...since they lead to "mistakes" in which version you're running...but:

Install the game.
Copy the installation folder.
Rename the copy.
Uninstall the original.
Copy the renamed copy.

Easy as DM... :twisted:
-Lightfoot

http://twitch.tv/dsavage66
http://discord.me/ultrafunk

If only you could see what I've seen...
Ace English
Angle Grinder Man

Post by Ace English »

a quick script and a couple of desktop shortcuts could easily rename the folder for whichever version you want to run and launch the game.
---
www.liveforspeed.net
R Tape Loading Error