Starting over again, but with aggravating, evil problems

Answers to all your Interstate dilemmas!
The Professional
Road Toad

Starting over again, but with aggravating, evil problems

Post by The Professional »

Hey kids. I've been aching for some oldschool lately, but I'm faced with the same problems.

First, oldschool oldschool: i76 original. I try to play it, but whenever I do, there are a number of things that will make me crash everytime, to the point where it's unplayable. Eg:
-making contact with anything ingame
-a 50 cal. mg hitting a car
-being hit by mortar fire...

the list goes on. I'm wondering if it's problem with my computer, or the game, and how to fix it. Here's my info:
Adapter Type: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

Info:
Chip Type: GeForce4 MX 440
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
Memory Size: 64 MB
Adapter String: GeForce MX 440
Bios Information: Version 4.17.00.45.00

----------------------
Second, I'm playing nitro - the missions, that is. But I'm sure people have noticed that all the AI in nitro are screwed up - they move very slowly and their front wheels wobble, as if they can't decide which way to go. It makes the game ridiculously easy. Is there a patch to stop this, or something I can do?

I just want to play again. Even better, play YOU guys again.
Ace English
Angle Grinder Man

Post by Ace English »

Be sure to only use software rendering if you haven't tried that.
Only real problems I had with 76 when I played it a couple of months ago was mortars falling short, and that was a d3d thing. I do still reboot into win98 though.
Death Machine
Vigilante

Post by Death Machine »

Im no expert, but it could be a sound issue. Try turning all the sound channels off and see what happens.

Of course, this creates another problem but at least youll be able to play. ;)

Ace is right, i would also suggest playing in software mode as well. D3D makes the game run too fast... I76 doesnt like to run fast.
Do not anger me...
The Professional
Road Toad

Ya know, I have been using software mode, against my will; it hasn't let me do the 3D thing for a while. *shrugs*
The Professional
Road Toad

I just reinstalled original, and it still does it. Could it have something to do with DirectX5? Of course I tell it not to install 5, 'cause I obviously have a more advanced version. I also have Windows XP. Does that fuck me over?
Lightfoot
Legend of Sorts

Uh...

Post by Lightfoot »

Make a copy of your installation folder and then uninstall the original.

Make a link to the EXE file in the copied directory and change compatibility mode to Win 98.

You can NOT play in 3D mode...

~out~
-Lightfoot

http://twitch.tv/dsavage66
http://discord.me/ultrafunk

If only you could see what I've seen...
The Professional
Road Toad

'kay.... I copied the i76 folder to my desktop, uninstalled, got both the splash file and the i76 file and made them compatible for Win98; I reinstalled, put them in the new folder, made sure they were still compatible. I don't know if I followed your instructions correctly, but it didn't work. I ran into a car and went right to the desktop again.

Blech.
Ace English
Angle Grinder Man

Post by Ace English »

I think Light meant that you shouldn't have an "installed" copy of the game there, just to run it from the copied directory (after uninstalling) after making a new shortcut with the compat set.
The Professional
Road Toad

*bangs table comically* Still doesn't work.
Lightfoot
Legend of Sorts

Uh...

Post by Lightfoot »

NOWHERE in my instructions does it say "reinstall the game"...

READ, UNDERSTAND and FOLLOW my instructions as they are written and then REREAD the XP FAQ thread if you're still having problems...

...(insult omitted)...

~out~
-Lightfoot

The Professional
Road Toad

I gathered that, Lightfoot, since Ace's instructions. Calm yourself; it's only barely worth it to get help from a man who goes on a berating tirade while doing it, saying something about holding the insults back. I don't need to be patronized.

I've made a copy of the i76 folder (if that's what you mean); by "then uninstall the original", you could possible mean deleting the folder or "uninstalling" the game; I tried doing one, then the other just to compensate for ambiguity.
By "making a link", I figured you may mean create a shortcut, so I tried your instructions on both the original "exe" file and the shortcut. Except by "the exe file" you could have meant either the file named "i76" or the file named "splash", so I tried both, using your instructions on both a shortcut and the original of both files one at a time. There's a lot of ambiguity I'm already compensating for, Lightfoot, so don't treat me like I'm just legally retarded. I already gathered I cannot play in 3D mode. No scenario on the FAQ applies to what I described. After all variations of your instructions, I always enter the training mission and ram into the closest jeep, to be sent back to the desktop, the CD's game music still playing on the speakers.
Lightfoot
Legend of Sorts

Uh...

Post by Lightfoot »

Not that you'll be able to read this until you delete your cookie but it's quite obvious to me that you ARE either legally retarded, in need of patronization or just plain stupid...

If you can hear game music playing, you've failed to follow a well documented step and aren't worth my time, energy or the space your user account takes on these boards.

Also, in case you've missed it, I don't like it when morons like yourself come waltzing around looking for help and then DON'T follow instructions and THEN sport an attitude with me because YOU'RE too stupid to understand what's been written or too lazy to ask a well phrased question that addresses your problem...

Go find help elsewhere...I have no time for the ungrateful or moronic any more.
-Lightfoot

Magnum |HH|
Vigilante

Post by Magnum |HH| »

I have been running XP since february.I haven't tried it online yet but I'm sure all I will have to do is disable my firewall.The only problem I was having is the cannon sounds weren't keeping up with the animation of the cannon firing.I used the tip in the thread here and made a copy of the game folder,deleted the original and the problem is gone.Thanks Light!

The only problem I have with 82 is my PC didn't come with a gameport and the USB controller makes the game crash so I'm on the keyboard to play that.
The Professional
Road Toad

Boy is Lightfoot gonna hit the roof when he notices that the man he banned updated the very thread that set him off to do so.

Still, what am I gonna do, hide forever? I miss my friends.
I tried Lightfoot's method just last night, of copying the installation folder, then uninstalling, then running from that folder; unfortunately the problem stayed identical. The FAQ doesn't look applicable either. I82 doesn't work either, it crashes whenever I try and start a game, and I don't see any servers in multiplayer anyway.

If this falls on unfriendly ears, while I think there was a dizzying overreaction, I could have been more patient, and therefore I'm sorry. But that's as far as it goes.
Lightfoot
Legend of Sorts

Yup...

Post by Lightfoot »

...that's as far as it goes.

You're an idiot.

You've managed to post 2 whole times before I found them and decided *I* don't want you here.

Thanks for resurrecting the thread, now die with it...

Fuck, you're annoying as a wart on a typing finger...
-Lightfoot