Need help formatting XP

Answers to all your Interstate dilemmas!
Diamond
Vigilante

Need help formatting XP

Post by Diamond »

Hey all, this isn't concerning I76, but I figured this was the best forum to post this.

I'm running windows xp on a dell dimension 4550 Intel Pentium 4, 2.40GHz, 256 MB RAM

What I'd like to do is erase everything on my computer, including windows, and clean out the registry so basically the computer will be factory default new, minus the installation of windows.

I'd then like to reinstall windows, and put everything back on of course (I'm currently backing everything up on CDr's). I did this once before on a older computer of mine, but I'm sure I didn't do it right and I never saw windows on it again. When I inserted the Windows CD in DOS, the computer wouldn't recognize the CD drives, as if they weren't even there. I don't want this problem again.

So basically what I'm asking for is maybe a link to a tutorial to teach me how to perform this task, either that or someone that could dedicate some time to help me out. I'm doing this just because I want a refreshed CPU, so it'll perform like it used to. (Not that I can notice a difference, but I'm sure there is.) Any help from you folks would be appreciated. I'd also want to be assured that after I erase everything, that my computer will recognize all of the hardware I have including my internet connection, router, CD drives, etc. I'm a dummy when it comes down to technical stuff like this. Thankyou in advance, I'll be checking back here constantly.
Ace English
Angle Grinder Man

Post by Ace English »

I think the problem you had last time with your CD drives, is that standard DOS boot discs don't come with CDRom drivers.

Most new PCs come with BIOS options to allow the PC to boot from a CDRom as the first device (usually it's in the order Floppy/HD/CDRom or similar), so a boot disc shouldn't be necessary if you have a windows CD to boot from. Saying that, it's certainly been known when installing Windows 9X, for the computer to lose sight of the CDRom drive after one or other of the mandatory reboots during installation.

In summary, if you have a new (like newer than 1999) computer, set your boot order for CDRom first, and you should be able to install windows on a completely flattened HD.

Hopefully you have another PC to get on the internet with in case it all goes wrong :)
Diamond
Vigilante

Post by Diamond »

thanks Ace, that's exactly what my buddy told me to do. But let me get this straight, I set my computer to boot from the CDROM drive which is probably 'IDE CDROM Device' in the Bios, correct? After windows loads, pop in the xp CD and reboot, then it should erase everything including reseting the registry and I'm smooth sailing if all goes well, right? ;p
Ace English
Angle Grinder Man

Post by Ace English »

If you set the first device as CDRom as you say (In the BIOS) put the XP CD in and reboot the PC, and it should never get as far as loading your installed copy of windows (if you have one)- the XP CD will load automagically and you'll be able to install from there.

I've never tried installing XP over an existing (broken?) XP install, so I'd suggest formatting the drive (assumning it has no data you want to keep). Actually, I'd recommend formatting the drive, installing Windows 98 on a small partition, then installing XP as well. Then you get Win98 for perfect nitro goodness :)
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

If you install 98 first XP will ask if you want to make it dual boot. Though, that may be for just the XP upgrade version.
Ace English
Angle Grinder Man

Post by Ace English »

Yes. that was the point of my suggestion to get 98 on there while it's easy to do so.