Nitro sound problem!

Answers to all your Interstate dilemmas!
Ataraxia
Vigilante

Nitro sound problem!

Post by Ataraxia »

Hey dudes,

It's been a while! A uh, long while apparently. :D

I recently started playing again and after getting 76 and Nitro working, I'm having some minor issues. I76 works fine, minimal flutter. Nitro works mostly ok, with minimal flutter, BUT a major sound bug which I've only read about on the GOG forums and had no answers.

The problem is that as soon as another vehicle is on the radar, every sound they make is heard as if they were right next to me. Extremely annoying when a truck / bus are around. I've tried D3D, Glide, Soft, sound, no sound, nothing seems to be working as of yet.

On the plus side, I got the mapping bug again...keep your eyes peeled... :twisted:
DIVER
Vigilante

Re: Nitro sound problem!

Post by DIVER »

Hi there.
sound driver issue or... Did you changed CHANNEL in game option? It should be at MAX.
Ataraxia
Vigilante

Post by Ataraxia »

Long time no see DIVER. :)

Channels set to max, dropping them stops certain sounds playing, but the sounds that can still play, still all sound as if the other vehicle was right next to me. Also noticed with music set to off, on the start of the track it will play a split second of music. As the music goes to repeat, it will do it again. Very strange.
DIVER
Vigilante

Post by DIVER »

Yeah, it's been a long time. nice to see you again.
this is just a joke but.... plz do not say.... CD autorun enabled while you play game?
I suspect your sound card driver is doing something wrong. It's a strange thing.
Lightfoot
Legend of Sorts

Post by Lightfoot »

Y'all didn't try the Audio-Fixish....

It kills some of the earfucking but drops random channels so you either don't hear some things or you hear everything in the seat next to you.

We're working on this for the new patch but if you've upgraded past DX9 (which you have involuntarily) this is going to happen.
-Lightfoot

http://twitch.tv/dsavage66
http://discord.me/ultrafunk

If only you could see what I've seen...
Ataraxia
Vigilante

Post by Ataraxia »

Bummer dude. :( I also tried different channel settings like turning it down, exit, reenter, yadda yadda, but it would seem it doesn't want to work. Maybe I've still got an old 98 box...

Also good to see you again LF, it's been way too long. :)
GuyFawkesGaming
Vigilante

Post by GuyFawkesGaming »

Sorry for kicking up an old topic, but what if this is an issue with A3D/EAX. If I remember correctly Windows 10 removed DirectSound, which no doubt broke many older games. The question is, is interstate one of them?
Pay To Win: a video gaming concept for people who don't actually know how to play, but still want to impress their friends.
UCyborg
Road Toad

Post by UCyborg »

GuyFawkesGaming wrote:If I remember correctly Windows 10 removed DirectSound, which no doubt broke many older games.
That's not true. DirectSound is implemented on top of WASAPI since Vista. Nothing changed in that regard on Windows 10. The biggest change in Vista was that the support for hardware acceleration was dropped, which does require driver support on Windows XP and earlier and was historically needed to be able to get 3D effect either through headphones using HRTF (again, handled by the sound card's drivers/software) or with surround sound system.

Vista+ on the other hand does support 3D sound mixing (in software), which actually works. You can request 3D sound mixing in software on XP and earlier, but it doesn't work (if you have surround system, nothing will come from most speakers). Extra software was always needed for HRTF through headphones though as there is no good native option for that. Well, it was supported on XP and presumably earlier versions too, but it sounds really poor and has to be specifically requested by the game. Windows 10's Sonic for Headphones probably only works for specific much newer software, maybe it's even exclusive to UWP apps, I've no idea, but it surely isn't universal.

A common problem with old games using DirectSound is that some of them check if hardware acceleration is supported and only do 3D sound if it is, because it only worked correctly back then if it was, an assumption that is incorrect since Vista. And then there are also games using EAX effects through DirectSound, a proprietary extension by Creative. EAX also only worked with hardware sound buffers and was handled by the sound card drivers. Vista removed HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) support for DirectSound, so EAX never works through Microsoft's DirectSound library on these systems, hence the need for wrappers, eg. Creative ALchemy and DSOAL.

Interstate '76 doesn't use EAX, but it does 3D mixing and isn't picky about whether hardware acceleration is supported or not. Nitro Pack's DirectSound code is just more broken than I76's I guess. Nitro adds A3D codepaths, which are less broken than DIrectSound ones. Though Activision messed up DirectSound code in of the two patches. A3D is an old sound library that can be used on systems with Aureal sound cards; they say they're really good at producing believable 3D sound.
EnioHabev
Road Toad

Post by EnioHabev »

There is already a fix to this sound issue. Which is using the A3D.exe and .dll file that is included on the patches on the threads above us. It is even included in the long guide I wrote. It is a relief not to hear loud audio sounds of all things now all the time.
456CYR
Trunk Monkey

Post by 456CYR »

I have an entirely different sound problem in Nitro oddly enough. Sounds seem to repeat and get louder and louder and louder and layer on top of eachother, and it creates this ear rape bomb.
456CYR
Trunk Monkey

Post by 456CYR »

456CYR wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:33 pm I have an entirely different sound problem in Nitro oddly enough. Sounds seem to repeat and get louder and louder and louder and layer on top of eachother, and it creates this ear rape bomb.
NVM, that A3D .dll fixed it
Lightfoot
Legend of Sorts

Post by Lightfoot »

My people suggest installing the "A3D Audio Fixish" included with the current release or by direct download from the link in General Discussion...

However, you *NEED* to follow the instructions and replace A3D.DLL with the one included in the ZIP *AND* delete A3DAPI.DLL from SYSWOW64 or things will go terribly wrong.

Good luck.
-Lightfoot

http://twitch.tv/dsavage66
http://discord.me/ultrafunk

If only you could see what I've seen...
Lightfoot
Legend of Sorts

Post by Lightfoot »

LUL...

Glad to see you got it fixed.

:oops: