Texture corruption in both glide and D3D modes

Answers to all your Interstate dilemmas!
GuyFawkesGaming
Vigilante

Re: Texture corruption in both glide and D3D modes

Post by GuyFawkesGaming »

Nevermind, seams to be an issue with the wrapper: http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=848
Pay To Win: a video gaming concept for people who don't actually know how to play, but still want to impress their friends.
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

GuyFawkesGaming wrote:Nevermind, seams to be an issue with the wrapper: http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=848
nglide is simply not made for Interstate '76 family games. It is also poorly designed, as customizing the settings that are not found in the gui requires the end user to be far more capable than the average computer user.
GuyFawkesGaming
Vigilante

Actually I haven't gotten nGlide running, I was using dgvoodoo. Regardless, the issue it the same.
Pay To Win: a video gaming concept for people who don't actually know how to play, but still want to impress their friends.
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

GuyFawkesGaming wrote:Actually I haven't gotten nGlide running, I was using dgvoodoo. Regardless, the issue it the same.
Try using the settings I posted in this thread on Oct 20, 2016. If you're using dgvoodoo2, your settings may be different however you may still be able to tweak the memory setting to minimize the problem. Good luck.
GuyFawkesGaming
Vigilante

I'm actually using the latest version, 1.54. Unfortunately same of the features from that beta don't appear in this version. I did manage to get around the texture swap issue by choosing the original voodoo card and limiting vram to 2mb, thanks. I did manage to find an interesting glitch though, on my card at least. Forcing the res in the directx tab causes a rainbow effect and immense lag, similar to the explorer pallet glitch for vista and 7 users. I also do get occasional artifacts (one particularly annoying one is cause by looking at the notepad or map, leaves this "residue" on the bottom and side of my screen).
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

GuyFawkesGaming wrote:I'm actually using the latest version, 1.54. Unfortunately same of the features from that beta don't appear in this version. I did manage to get around the texture swap issue by choosing the original voodoo card and limiting vram to 2mb, thanks. I did manage to find an interesting glitch though, on my card at least. Forcing the res in the directx tab causes a rainbow effect and immense lag, similar to the explorer pallet glitch for vista and 7 users. I also do get occasional artifacts (one particularly annoying one is cause by looking at the notepad or map, leaves this "residue" on the bottom and side of my screen).
I get green pixels stuck on the right side of the screen most of the time, as well as what you describe when I hit "N" or "M".
Some things I should clarify, and this is based on my experience as well as others:

If you have an intel video chipset, you will have to use dgvoodoo1.5
If you have a nvidia video chipset, you can use dgvoodoo2
If you have an amd (formerly ati) video chipset, you may be stuck with nglide
Of course there may be exceptions and you might find more info on the gog forums. There are also glide wrappers that cost money but I have no idea if they work or work right for I'76.
The reason I say "stuck with" can be found here: http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=275
Please don't use [nglide starter] if you are completely unfamiliar with console applications.
:roll:

Setting the texture memory to 2MB is jerry rigging at best, as it will cause video lag with maps that have many objects. It also does not truly fix the problem. If you can increase it as I described in my "progress" post in this thread, then by all means do it. If and when you try larger texture memory sizes, the best way I've found to stress test the glide wrapper is:

Set up a good combat vehicle
Add 8 AI drivers for instant melee
Launch an instant melee game in Combat Valley, as the spawn points are in close proximity and it has a good few objects and roadways nearby

Play the game, blow up some cars, and observe the textures. You'll know how high or low you need to adjust the texture memory size based on the way the textures get mismanaged, as I described in my "progress" post on Oct. 20th. Have fun.
GuyFawkesGaming
Vigilante

My bad, my version is 2.54, latest version available. Not really sure if the compilers or D3DRM are needed though. Also after doing some research turns out this also occurs on real voodoo cards with more than 2mb memory, just look at this and this. You can check out a bunch of other (mostly unresolved) old i76 problems here.
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

I meant add 7 AI drivers for instant melee :P

From your second link:
I have the Nitro Pack and the game also used to crash after a short
while.  I remedied this problem by disabling the extra 2mb of texture
memory.
SET SST_TMUMEM_SIZE=2
Well this is interesting, where would you enter that?
GuyFawkesGaming
Vigilante

From my understanding you make a bat file with that in it followed by the executable for the game you wish to launch (nitro of i76 in out case).
This shows that this may actually be a but (or perhaps just a limitation) of the mechwarrior 2 engine i76 runs on. It's too bat increasing the memory value the game can handle would be next to impossible, or at least no worth it.
KIV 6051 [SH]
Legend

Post by KIV 6051 [SH] »

GuyFawkesGaming wrote:From my understanding you make a bat file with that in it followed by the executable for the game you wish to launch (nitro of i76 in out case).
This shows that this may actually be a but (or perhaps just a limitation) of the mechwarrior 2 engine i76 runs on. It's too bat increasing the memory value the game can handle would be next to impossible, or at least no worth it.
That's good to know. Now I'm curious if this is still a viable workaround. Also, I got the game to work almost flawlessly at 14336kB using dgvoodoo1.5
GuyFawkesGaming
Vigilante

I have doubts, if I'm not mistaken those variables have to interpreted by the voodoo driver, a real driver. Considering the amount of bugs this game already has, seams like hex is going to be our best friend.
EnioHabev
Road Toad

Post by EnioHabev »

It is unfortunate that the texture corruption that does happen when running with dgvoodoo2. But that issue for me quickly went away when I brought up the pause menu then exited from the pause menu. Only had to do it once.