"A Lifetime" - Commentary and discussion

Tales of the Interstate

Moderator: Redline Fox

Redline Fox
Crazy Vulpine

Post by Redline Fox »

Just a note: Not every scene has to be a cliff-hanger.
Wheeler
Vigilante

Post by Wheeler »

Folks, I'm sorry I haven't updated, school's getting in the way :P

There should be a new episode done tomorrow or next week.

Did that avatar just blink?! :shock:

:lol:
I want a Mustang...
Rock on.
Redline Fox
Crazy Vulpine

Post by Redline Fox »

*blink*

I have no idea what your talking about. :-P

As long as your updating once a month, I'm fine with that.

Unless the board gets clogged with unfinished stories, I won't be breaking anyone's nuts about posting new chapters.
DarkThunder |DA|
Road Toad

Nice stuff man

Post by DarkThunder |DA| »

Well I finally got to read this and nice job so far. Can't wait to see what comes next.
Respect is Everything
HMG [UKA]
Road Toad

Nice

Post by HMG [UKA] »

Going good...
HMG [UKA]
Road Toad

Post by HMG [UKA] »

Good stuff so far, my mind's eye is pleased for now anyway. I can actually imagine shred screaming in pain and falling down in his cyborg outfit in the middle of a bar. Wierd I know.

Anyway, they can't trust a cop? I think Wheeler's proven himself up to the point where he asked what it was that they were hiding or protecting. Just a suggestion, maybe omit the assumption and leave the trust situation issue to the reader? Again, just a suggestion...

Nice work overall, I like it.

Cya on i82 and MSN pal
Wheeler
Vigilante

Post by Wheeler »

Well... the tricky part is... "I" still have to think of something so valuable that the creepers would want it and the Vigilantes wouldn't destroy it :lol:
I want a Mustang...
Rock on.
PanekPL
Vigilante

Post by PanekPL »

Maybe a nuke? The Vigs would use it against the Creeps and vice versa :roll: Just a suggestion :roll:
Fixx
Vigilante

Post by Fixx »

Keep up the good work. It seems to me that this last installment is the best to date. Maybe because the story is starting to develope and a little bit of mystery is introduced with the question of what's in the truck.

A nuke isn't a bad idea but it has been done :)

War what is it good for......
Oil barons and arms dealers.
Not you or me that's for sure!

Post by PanekPL »

Yeah, but Imo it's the only thing so valuable that everybody wants it...
---
Wing Nut OOA
Not "The WingNut"

Post by Wing Nut OOA »

no idea what you're talking about. but from what i can gather

yes a nuke would be good idea. but i cant feature the vigs using it against the creepers because of the destruction factor. creepers wouldnt care.

but for that reason. yes the vigs wouldnt want it. just so the creepers wouldnt get it.
Redline Fox
Crazy Vulpine

Post by Redline Fox »

Antonio Malochio had planned to use a nuke in the originol I76 story line.

A nuke, is not a good idea, its been done within the I76 story arches. Malochio was essentially a terriorist with collateral damage as his goal, why would a random group of creepers want to inflict collateral damange when they are reliant on steady work in order to operate?

If you want a 'big thing' that everyone's after, you'll need some other major players/characters that are directing the lesser creeper mercs, unless the mercs are well organized enough to be working towards larger goals then just random shooting up cars and towns.
Fixx
Vigilante

Post by Fixx »

I got it ... Hacked cars :lol:

War what is it good for......
Oil barons and arms dealers.
Not you or me that's for sure!

Post by Fnork »

"Hacked" cars are certainly an option in Interstate fiction since they did play an annoyingly large part in the online side of the game, but if you want to retain any realism in the story use them with extreme caution.

Giant tires, overpowered engines, an unlimited-ammo weapons all work in-game because the physics engine doesn't properly account for them, but in a "real life" situation you have to deal with very real factors like inertia, friction, and gravity.

Huge tires, especially those commonly used by hacks will significantly raise a vehicles's center of gravity, which will make it far more prone to overturning during quick maneuvers. Larger tires also will present a much larger target for incoming weapons, and making them bulletproof would add considerable weight to even a normal-sized tire.

Insanely overpowered engines will have serious issues with traction, especially when they find their way off-road. With the higher power comes higher speeds that are more quickly-reached, which will make them much more difficult to maneuver during close combat. Coupled with a higher COG and a lot of excess weight, they'll be skidding, sliding and rolling all over the place.

Adding dozens of weapons (or more) to a car and giving them unrealistic ammo capacities will add even more weight, which again creates problems with the COG and overall handling of the vehicle. Something else to consider is that a typically-sized car only has so much space to put weapons before you run out of real estate or create serious structural problems when firing (weapon recoil) - even the heat dissapation of those weapons can be an issue.

Hacked paint is pretty easy to do though -- I'82 more than proved that people can come up with some really awful looking paintjobs when it is "legal" to do so.
Ace English
Angle Grinder Man

Post by Ace English »

Then again, in the actual game, you could take a salvo of minigun fire, or a rocket up the chuff and just scuff the paintwork. To be honest, justifying the regular cars via hi-tech armouring materials, etc, is enough of a suspension of disbelief breaker, that going into the territory of invincible Rattlers destroys any remaining credibility.

Interstate was a cold war era, so nukes were big in terms of the zeitgeist. Most adventure stories involve the chasing and eventual acquisition of a McGuffin of some type. So if not nukes, then what? Some high tech secret military vehicle like the Knight Industries 2000? Some kind of uber-laser? If the characters aren't chasing an item, then other motivations tend to be around rescue and revenge. That, or some kind of blackmail/trap for the main character- like Snake Plissken and his time delayed lethal injection.
---
www.liveforspeed.net
R Tape Loading Error