Map making: The .TER file (Nitro)

A relic of a bygone era...the theory board is for discussion of game play, car design and map making. A place where seasoned vigilantes and fresh bell-bottoms can share their ideas.

Moderator: Ride [FD]

Should the .TER file be standardized to the ADDON folder?

Yes
67%
No
No votes
I don't know/care
No votes
It's a moot point and has no effect on the game
33%
I wish I knew what you were talking about
No votes
The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell
No votes

Total votes: 3

Lightfoot [FD]
Obey

Map making: The .TER file (Nitro)

Postby Lightfoot [FD] » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:35 am

There has been some discussion about .TER files for Nitro and where they belong in the directory structure.

Long story longer is there is no "incorrect" place to install them, though there should be some consideration for standardization for future releases, repairs and re-edits.

As it stands now .TER files can live in ADDON, MISS8 *AND* MISS16 or in all three with no ill effects on launching or playing the game but this adds some confusion to any update process.

My proposal is for a single .TER file in the ADDON folder for the sake of simplicity. An extensive review of .TER files from multiple authors (including D1VER and myself) indicates that there are *NO* differences between the .TER files compiled for 8-bit or 16-bit versions of the map.

Let me know what you think.
-Lightfoot [FD]
This is not a democracy...

Lightfoot [FD]
Obey

Re: Map making: The .TER file (Nitro)

Postby Lightfoot [FD] » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:33 pm

In regards to moving the .TER files to ADDON:

I have been reviewing all of the maps currently available for download. I had noted (3) combat maps with "text corruption" (the on-screen text is surrounded by black boxes; also effect objects on the OSD). After consolidating the .TER files, on a second sweep of maps with known issues this problem appears to have been resolved.

If anyone has the 16-bit versions of the following maps installed and could see if they're problematic, I'd appreciate it:

Dead Ahead
Deadwood
Ballistic

Thanks in advance.
-Lightfoot [FD]
This is not a democracy...

Return to “Speed Shop Theory Board”